Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My "Extra $2 Tip"

So, as the Princess of Rizvania prepared herself the other morning, my husband asked me why I went through all that just to read a story. I told him it was HIS fault and got the usual "whaaa....???!" expression in response.

You see, when my husband and I were first married, we ate out ALOT. Not because I couldn't cook (Hon, it was NOT because I couldn't cook!), but because, with both of us working, we had the money and not much time (funny how things can 180 on ya). Anyway... my husband would typically leave "extra-large" tips, even if the service was average, which, as a former professional waitress, drove me nuts. [I liked to think you should EARN an extra-big tip by being totally awesome - which, in all honesty, I was - I totally LOVE serving people!] When I confronted him over this nasty habit, he simply explained, "How many opportunities do you get in this life to REALLY make someone's day for only $2 more?"

So, yes, I could have gone to the school that morning in a nice outfit (not my sweats), and the kids would have enjoyed the story, but with just a small investment in time (15 min.) and a little creativity, I decided to give them an extra $2. You should have seen their faces - so how could I not?!

4 comments:

foolery said...

Wow, I wish your husband had been around when I was a professional Bad Waitress. And I think you're creative and daring and generous to dress up for the kids! I would remember it for a long, long time, if I were one of those tykes.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Not too long ago I was at a restaurant with a group of friends. Apparently, I should not be allowed to calculate the tip after drinking 2 margaritas. We tipped her 40%. I will say that her delight and appreciation sorta made it worth it.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

Yeah, I'd say your tip was more like 40%. It's great that they have someone like you to come in and read to them. There are probably some who don't even get read to at all, so imagine what a treat it was for them. That came out a bit more 'debbie-downer' than I had expected.

Debbie said...

Waitressed a lot in the past and would totally be on the lookout for your hubby in the future! But I too, only tip big for outstanding service!!